Birds aren’t the only animals that lay eggs! Explore a few of the different types of animals that lay eggs here in Illinois. Learn about the diverse types of eggs and habitats in which they are found.
Pre-Question:What type of animals lay eggs? List as many different types of animals you may know.
Video: Watch Hickory Knolls’ Other Egg Layers Video
1) Describe the different types of eggs described in the video.
2) Why are snake eggs leathery and frog eggs clear (transparent)?
3) What is your favorite animal? Does it lay eggs? What are its young like?
2) Egg Drop Challenge STEM Activity: How tough are eggs? Create a contraption to protect eggs from cracking if dropped from a high point.
1) Eggs can be surprisingly strong. Try this experiment. You will need 2 eggs.
- Hold an egg between your index finger and thumb at the fattest part of the egg.
- Squeeze as hard as you can. Does the egg break?
- Now try holding the egg upright, as shown in the picture.
- Squeeze as hard as you can.
- Which way was the egg the strongest? Why is it stronger one way and not the other?
2) Now Try This! click here
3) STEM Connection: See how the shape of eggs affects their strength and can be applied to different structures. Adult help is needed with this activity.
Language Arts Connection:
Complete this worksheet: click here