A habitat is the natural home of a plant or animal that provides it with food, water, shelter and space. How do animals use and change their habitat?
Pre-Question: How do you think an animal might change its habitat to meet its need for food or shelter?
Video: Watch Hickory Knolls’ Woodland Habitat Video
1) How did the woodpecker change the tree for its nest?
2) Provide another way the woodpecker used its habitat to meet its need for food, shelter, space or communication.
3) Can you think of another animal that changes its habitat to meet its needs?
1) Go outside – can you find holes in the ground, trees or other areas that an animal may have made? What animal do you think made this hole, and why?
2) Build your own nest! Try out this nest building activity from Science Buddies.
1) How do people change their environment/habitat to meet their needs? Remember, people also need food, water, shelter and space?